As we know, Microsoft Office 365 is the brand name used by Microsoft, which includes Microsoft Office and other services such as email and collaboration from Microsoft Cloud Server. Office 365 includes a variety of features so that users can access their mailboxes at any time. On the other hand, PST is a file format used by the Outlook which is a desk-top email client.
I have long been searching for a reliable solution for many users to export their Office 365 mailboxes in PST format over the Internet. To keep in mind the needs of our users, here in this article, we have talked about all the many solutions including manuals and third party solutions that can help users export Office 365 mailboxes in Outlook PST format.
There are two methods that can be used by users to export their Office 365 mailboxes to PST file.
Method 1: Use eDiscovery PST Export Tool
Method 2: Third Party Software
eDiscovery Content Search & Export Utility is a manual solution, if you want to use it then you need to fulfill some requirements of this tool before running it. Check the requirements listed below:
1. Login to your "Office 365 account" and then open Microsoft "Admin center"
2. Now, click on the "Security and Compliance option" in the "Admin centers"
3. Now, select "Permissions option" and Drag to "eDiscovery Manager"
4. After that, click "Edit icon" to add the important roles which are required for the Discovery Management group
5. In general, the "role group" is assigned to the following roles i.e., Case Management, Compliance Search, Export, Hold, Preview, Review and RMS Decrypt
6. Suppose if in case the Export role is missing, click "Edit role group" and add the same.
7. Now you need to drag down to "Search and Investigation" and then select "Content search" option
8. Now a new window will appear, click on the "New search" option which is available in the latest version of eDiscovery Content Search.
9. After that, specify the data that you need to extract from the office 365 mailbox in the search window in PST file format. You can "add conditions" to make the Office 365 search process more accurate as needed. As you can see, you can find multiple items to filter your search email and other items.
10. Now select "Specific locations" and "Modify".
11. Now, you need to "choose emails" or specify the mailboxes using "Choose users", groups option
12. It is also possible for you to export mailboxes from SharePoint and Public folders but for this you need to enable the option "Public folders".
13. The search option allows many other filtering options that will help you in the selective conversion process.
14. In order to export in bulk all Outlook 365 mailboxes, do not add any condition or keywords, just click the "Save" and "Run" button. Write the name of the search on the tool request.
15. When you click on the "Save" button, the tool will "start" the search in the background.
16. Now you will see the Preview of all the search results you want to export
17. Now Go back to saved searches and select Folder name to export Office 365 Online Mailbox to PST. As we have selected the Export PST file, you can check the search status for all the details related to the search result. But to do that, you need to click on "More" option and choose Export results option.
18. Select the "radio" button from the "Export results" wizard, according to the needs. Make sure you do not check the enable deduplication option unless you need to search for the search results that are required to export to single PST file.
19. Once the settings are done, click on the "Export" button at the bottom of the window. To start exporting process. And then next close this Tab.
20. In case if you want to check the export progress, you can go back to the searches and click on the "Export" tab.
21. Before the export process gets completed, click "Download results" button that will begin downloading the results.
22. Now, copy the Export key by clicking on the "Copy to Clipboard" option.
23. Now paste this copied export key under the Paste field and select the desired folder to save the PST file
24. Finally, click on the "Start" button to begin the export process which will export Office 365 Mailbox to PST file format.
If you not configured the eDiscovery tool properly then it may show the error mentioned below.
//(Cannot start application in the end)\\
This eDiscovery PST Export tool fails to start from the Admin Center in Office 365 Online
To avoid the problems that arises in the above mentioned manual method, you can use third party tool - Sofmagnat Office 365 to PST Converter that is completely designed to perform the export from Office 365 mailboxes data to Outlook PST file without any data loss. it allows you to export your data in several different file format such as PST, EML, EMLX, MBOX, MSG and vCard format quickly without facing any technical or non-technical problems. This tool does not compromise data integrity as it ensures data integrity is maintained. Moreover, the user can run this program on any version of the Windows operating system.
There is lots of misconception amongst users related to Export Office 365 mailboxes to PST files. We would like to tell them that there is no such methods through which users can export their Office 365 data to PST directly via. Powershell. No method is available like – MailboxExportRequest command for this task. There is only manual method is available that we have already discussed above in this blog along with its errors. Therefore, if you want quick and safe solution then you should go with the third party tool that we have suggested above in details.