Last Updated on October 31, 2020 by admin
If you’ve been working with QuickBooks for a long time, then you already know that it is developed by Intuit as a business accounting software that has small and medium-sized organizations and as its target audience. The owners with small business and the entrepreneurs as well are highly dependent on QuickBooks for managing their accounts. QuickBooks offers existing accounting as well as cloud-based accounting to simplify business payment, tax management and payment, and payroll functions. For professionals and small entrepreneurs, QuickBooks has rightly become a product when it comes to easy financial management. And what makes such a solid performance possible? Of course, a solid database!
The Intuit database is quite capable of dealing with business pressures and the growing requirements behind QuickBooks. But like other database it suffers from problem every time. The corruption issue is very common for users in the QuickBooks company file. If your QBW file is corrupted then it cannot be opened and used until you fixed it.
How to Identify Corruption in QuickBooks Company file?
If you are interested in knowing when you need to repair a QBW file, it is important for you to first identify the corruption in your files.
We have mentioned some of the problems that can occur due to corruption in the QuickBooks company file, let’s read these issues listed below carefully:
- Errors like “A data problem prevents QuickBooks from continuing” in the Verify Data Utility or “Verify Target: Values in minor do not match major” on your screen or in the Qbwin.log file.
- Sudden shutdown of QuickBooks when trying to save or delete a transaction.
- Faulty reports like Balance Sheets where the total assets don’t match the total liabilities and equity.
- Missing transactions and entries from Lists.
- Account names preceded by an asterisk (*), which were created by QuickBooks because the original accounts were missing
- QuickBooks running slow, operations taking longer than normal
- Paid bills and invoices showing as unpaid
- Transaction History shows a negative balance.
- On opening the Send Feedback Online > Bug Report window, you see an HTML code.
Data corruption in QuickBooks occurs in many circumstances, but the most important thing to note is that anything that makes the data weird can be a sign of QuickBooks corruption. if you notice such possible data issues, or you’ve done the research and suspect data damage, don’t worry. Keep reading this blog to know the perfect solutions to fix these data issues with your company file.
Reasons Behind QuickBooks Company Data File Corruption
Database corruption is any damage to a database that slows down its integrity or weakens its functioning; it also contains errors in the data storage structure used in the database. Corruption does not limit only the fields, rows, columns, or even individual tables within a database; corruption can exist across a wide range of databases. However, as you now know how you can detect corruption in your QuickBooks database. Our next logical step would be to investigate what could cause corruption in our QuickBooks data. This can help QuickBooks repair company files.
Some common reasons for data damage and corruption in QuickBooks include:
- The QuickBooks database file may be corrupted when the size is expanded by a fixed limit of either 200 MB (for QuickBooks Pro) or 450 MB (for QuickBooks Enterprise).
- Lack of resources can lead to corruption such as RAM, virtual memory, network interface cards, routers, network cables, etc.
- If the power momentarily goes out in your office, it can change data and corrupt the QuickBooks database.
- Sudden shut-down of the system due to technical or other reason may results in corruption of the QuickBooks database
- Malware, Spyware, Viruses, Worms, etc, if your computer gets sick, it can affect QuickBooks
- If a bad sector develops on the hard drive where all the data are stored, you may lose your data
Even after extensively discussing all the reasons in the above section, it is important to remember that apart from these reasons, there are many other unknown reasons as well that can cause corruption in your QuickBooks database.
How to Fix Corruption in QuickBooks Company File?
Now we finally reach the method of fixing corruption in QuickBooks company file. So we want to tell you that we have two methods available, one is manual and other one is Professional QuickBooks Company File Repair Tool. You can choose any one from the both for repairing corrupt QuickBooks files. However, we are going to explain this both methods in brief in the upcoming section, so that which method will prove to be very useful for you from both, when choosing to complete this repair work.
Method 1 – Manual Method to Repair QuickBooks Company File
You can use the manual technique to repair your QuickBooks file with the use of Verify & Rebuild Data utility. The Rebuild Data tool is built-in to QuickBooks Desktop and automatically fixes minor company file data issues. Follow the steps one by one given below:
- Visit the File menu, hover over Utilities and then select Rebuild Data.
- In the QuickBooks info window, select OK. Follow the onscreen steps to save a backup.
- Let the tool repair your file. It may take some time. QuickBooks may seem intuitive, but before you can move the mouse, the tool works.
- Once the tool finishes repair process, click on the OK button
- Visit the File menu, then Utilities and after that select Verify Data
- Let the tool check your files for data problems
If QuickBooks does not find any type of problem in your file, select OK. You can continue to use your company file. You do not have any damages in your data.But in case If QuickBooks finds an issue with your company file, you are required to select Rebuild Now.
If you still have data problems after repairing your company file, try again. If the first rebuild took more than two hours, contact support.
Method 2 – Free Tools
It is true that this manual method is simple, but its execution often requires a lot of time in completing the task. A better solution might be to use a free QuickBooks company file repair tool. Here are some popular and widely used QBW file repair tools:
- QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- QuickBooks Component Repair Tool
- QuickBooks File Doctor
Method 3 – QuickBooks Company File Repair Software
Even free tools are unable to fix all problems; that’s why we suggest the users to use this Softmagnat QuickBooks Recovery tool which is a most reliable and efficient software to repair & fix QuickBooks company file corruption issues within short period of time. It is highly advance utility designed to repair/recover every single information from corrupt QuickBooks file without compromising with the quality of data contents. The major benefit is that it acts as a comprehensive QBW recovery solution and supports the recovery of multiple currencies. All the recoverable components can be previewed with the help of software before actual repair.
Steps to Repair Corrupt QuickBooks® Company File
- Download and install Softmagnat Repair for QuickBooks® Software
- Select File option in the tool main interface window, to select the corrupt company file you want to repair, and then click Scan File
- After scanning the selected file, follow the instructions to preview your company file data
- Save the file by clicking on the Repair option
- A Save File window will appears, do the following:
- Click the browse button to select a new blank file location that contains the repaired file data
- Select the QuickBooks version and then click Start to start the saving process
A message will appear as ‘Repair process completed successfully’, click OK to finish the task.